Contact Me Online | Call (503) 439-1124
5 Ways to Use TRX Suspension Training
Trammell's Health & Fitness Tips - Health, Fitness, Nutrition & Training Tips to Keep you Healthy and Motivated
- START YOUR WORKOUT - Fast twitch fibers grow the biggest, strongest, the fastest and burn the most calories. The best way to target them is with explosive exercises and the best time to do these exercises is at the start of workouts before they are fatigued. Start your regular chest workout with 3 sets of 3-8 reps of power pushups on the TRX. The suspension bands allow you to explode up and land with less stress on the wrists. You also can do power inverted rows for your back, power body curls for your biceps and power triceps extensions.
- END YOUR WORKOUT - At the end of a heavy bodypart session, attach the TRX to the top of a power rack or a fixed pull up bar and perform a variety of exercises as finishers. Try bodyweight flyes or suspended pushups for chest, standing reverse flyes for delts and inverted rows for back.
- TRAIN ABS - When you do most typical ab exercises, your torso and pelvis are supported by the floor, which essentially acts as an external support. But when you are suspended either by your hands, arms or feet in a TRX, that support is gone, and the only way to stabilize yourself is with your deep inner core muscles. Thats why the TRX is insanely good at building a strong core, but it also can be used to develop abs. Knee tuck-ins-Hands on floor, feet suspended in stirrups, tuck knees towards chest are great for the lower abs. And if you thought planks were tough on the floor, wait till you try them with your feet suspended in the TRX.
- TRAIN LEGS - The TRX allows you to do one of the hardest leg exercises ever, a suspended one legged squat. Suspend your non working leg behind you in the TRX stirrup and use your front leg to squat down and back up. This not only builds up the quads but also trains the stabilizer muscles in your lower body, as well as your core, and helps improve balance. Start with just your bodyweight and then increase the resistance by holding dumbells, using a barbell or wearing a weight vest.
- DO CARDIO - Hook up your TRX bands and do mountain climbers for speed. With your hands flat on the floor and your feet anchored in the straps, run in interval fashion. In one study, subjects performed 46 TRX exercises over the course of an hour, working for 30 seconds and resting for 60 seconds. Subjects burned high amounts of carbohydrates during the workout and had a high level EPOC which stands for excess post exercise oxygen consumption. Post-workout with fats serving as the primary source of fuel during the two hours following recovery.
More Tips Coming Soon . . .
Check back next month for another Trammell's Health & Fitness Tip to help you reach your fitness and nutrition goals!
Personal Fitness Articles
Check out additional articles on health, fitness, nutrition and personal training in our Personal Fitness Articles Library.