Contact Me Online | Call (503) 439-1124
5 Ways to Break Out Of A Rut!
Trammell's Health & Fitness Tips - Health, Fitness, Nutrition & Training Tips to Keep you Healthy and Motivated
- INTENSIFY - Increase the weight you are using and reduce the amount of rest between sets. Studies show that lifters who train in the 6-8 rep range while resting fewer than 60 seconds between sets burn significantly more calories during and after workouts than those who rest longer. This can provide the shock to your muscles and heart needed to kick start new progress.
- BREAK IT UP - Running for 30-45 minutes at 5 miles per hour on the treadmill is enough to drive anyone into a frozen yogurt-fuled revolt. Shorten your workouts while increasing their effectiveness by using intervals. To start, run as fast as you can for 30 seconds, then walk or do a slow jog for 15 seconds. Repeat that 10 times, eventually working up to 15 or 20. Need a change of scenery? Take your sprints outside. Studies show that feelings of overall well being increase for outdoor exercisers. I often utilize this technique with my clients at Snap Fitness in Lake Oswego!
- EAT - Low energy levels can be a sign of common dieting disasters. One is skipping breakfast. Missing the first meal of the day not only allows muscle breakdown to go unchecked but also makes blood levels crater. This can lead to huge lulls in available energy while increasing the risk of binge eating. Another is low eating low carb of 150 grams or fewer per day for too long. Try carb cycling, interpersing 2 to 3 days of low carb eating with a day or two of more moderate carb intake to lose fat incrementally while staying sane.
- SWITCH UP YOUR SUPPS - Your preworkouts are not giving you the manic workout zing they once did. Now is the time to try to betaine or beta-alanine or to switch from coffee to caffeine in pill form. Switch up your creatine if creatine monohydrate isnt working anymore, try con-cret or kre-alkalyn. Or try a different preworkout formula, one with some of these new ingredients in it or with a different ratio of ingredients. And if you are older than 30 and male, consider adding in a testosterone boosting supplement.
- TRY SPINNING OR TRX CLASS - Try something brand new like spinning, boxing, trx class, martial arts. One of two things could happen, either you find a new way to work out or you will realize how good you had it with your old routine. Either way, you might just get the jolt you need to get out of that rut.
More Tips Coming Soon . . .
Check back next month for another Trammell's Health & Fitness Tip to help you reach your fitness and nutrition goals!
Personal Fitness Articles
Check out additional articles on health, fitness, nutrition and personal training in our Personal Fitness Articles Library.